- grassfed sirloin steak – 1 pound, cut into bite-sized pieces
- grassfed ground beef – 1 pound
- bulk Italian sausage – 1 pound
- butternut squash – 1 small or 1 package pre-cut, but into 1/2-inch dice
- onions – 2, chopped
- sweet red pepper – 2, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil – 1 Tbsp
- crushed tomatoes – one 28 ounce can (Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted)
- diced tomatoes – two 14.5 ounce cans (Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted)
- bay leaves – 2
- chili powder – 2 Tbsp
- paprika – 1 Tbsp
- dried oregano – 1 tsp
- ground cumin – 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper – 1/2 tsp
- sea salt – 1/2 – 1 tsp
- avocados – 2 ripe, mashed and seasoned with a little salt and pepper
- black olives – sliced
- onions – chopped
- jalapeno peppers
- paleo sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Peel and cube squash, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until it just begins to soften. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While squash bakes, cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add steak to the drippings in the skillet and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the pot.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 Tbsp oil. Add chopped onion and peppers and cook until onion starts to become translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add squash, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and spices to meat mixture. Stir and simmer over medium heat for 30-60 minutes to blend flavors.
- Top with mashed avocado, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno, and chopped black olive, if desired.
Enjoy this warming, hearty Paleo Chili!
Leave a Reply