Savory Paleo Granola
Prep 5 min. | Sauté 10 min. | Bake 45 min. | Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup dry-roasted cashews
- Preheat oven to 300F and cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until melted, then add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook 2-3 minutes until the onions begin to soften and its fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, coriander, salt, and turmeric. Add to the onions, stir to combine, and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until the onions are very soft. Add the lemon juice and cook until the mixture forms a paste, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut chips to the pan and stir until they’re coated with the onions and spices. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon and add the nuts to the baking pan. Roast an additional 10-15 minutes until the coconut/onion flakes are very brown and the nuts are toasted.
- Allow to cool completely, then mix together and store in an air-tight container. Eat as-is (Chex Mix Replacement!) or chop in a food processor until it’s the texture of coarse sand and use as a flavoring condiment on cooked vegetables, meats, soups, and salads.
Leave a Reply