For the cake:
- 2-1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey, liquified
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 pound gala apples (peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cinnamon swirl:
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 1/2 tablespoon unfiltered apple juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, in its solid state
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (the solid fat that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper at the bottom of a round cake pan, then lightly oil all sides with a little coconut oil.
- Toss together the apples and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the coconut oil, eggs, honey, and vanilla in another small bowl, then incorporate the wet into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apple mixture, then spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to spread it into an even layer. The batter will be pretty thick.
- Mix the cinnamon swirl ingredients in a small bowl, then drizzle around the cake. Use a toothpick or a skewer to drag the mixture around and make swirly patterns in the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, then use a knife to loosen the sides from the pan. Invert the cake onto the rack and peel off the parchment paper.
- Flip the cake so it’s right-side-up, and continue cooling either on the rack or by placing in the refrigerator.
- Mix together all of your glaze ingredients in a blender or small food processor. If it’s a little too runny, place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to thicken it up a bit.
- Drizzle over the cake, then serve immediately or store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Enjoy this Grain-free Apple Spice Cake for a weekend brunch!