- 1 lb.ground beef
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. bacon fat/lard or tallow
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 7 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Avocados, sliced
TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well combined and then form meatballs (you should have about 20). Set aside.
TO MAKE THE SOUP:
- Place a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon fat or tallow and allow to heat up.
- Add the onion,garlic, celery and onion and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the soup, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a side of cilantro and sliced avocado.
Enjoy this delicious, warming Albondigas (Meatball) Soup for lunch or dinner!